Nuclear Who?

Somehow, I think the future of nuclear power isn't what is was a couple days ago... and I hope that I don't turn on my computer tomorrow and find that the worst has happened at that Japanese nuclear plant.

This is not impersonal for us: my wife is Japanese and her parents and 3 siblings live there.... but I'll spare you the platitudes. The really amazing thing to consider is what is happening all around us regarding failures caused by complexity.

There are 2 ways of looking (so far) at the nuclear plants in Japan:

1: Nuclear power is simply too dangerous irrespective of the outcome in Japan.

2: A 9.0 earthquake and tsunami proved that containment systems were sufficient in a worse case scenario (if that proves to be the case here).

I know this is anathema to many, but this disaster might just prove nuclear technology is capable of handling surreal disaster inputs - and it will definitely yield tons of data on what can be improved.