Think Spring

Winter is wearing on us... so here are a few farm photos from Spring and Summers past...  Springtime in Tennessee is just heaven...




This is my year to take my homestead where I want it to be. See the chicken yard in the middle photo? That's where the raised bed garden is going. The chickens will go into a half acre run and the hogs will have the old garden area. The Hog yard will be cut off with the hogs going in the back 25% during the growing season so that I can grow corn, beans, and pumpkins in their area and then let them out to harvest the produce themselves before going to market.  I am going to put the bee hives about 30 feet to the left of the horse in the bottom picture which will be immediately adjacent to the garden.

---------------------------------------

A hat tip to an anonymous doomer reading here who emailed me some NASA publications on a potential Solar Storm in 2013... Peak Oil has been absorbed reasonably well so far... as I have said before its all about the rate of change, and there would have to be another big event to cause serious trouble... any of you folks following this "Carrington Event" or Solar Storm for 2013?  Also this Fox News Video.  Something like this could be a real bummer if it occurred contemporaneously with an Oil import shortage...

I am going to email Stu Staniford at Earlywarn.blogspot.com and see if he has anything to add... he's a physicist and I am a retired Wall Street hack turned organic farmer... so I haven't got a lot say about it, but if any of you folks have a contact with training in the area, by all means, I'd love to hear what he/she has to say.